Here’s an easy old fashioned recipe that makes delicious crispy around the edges chewy in the middle cookies. Even though they would make a great base for icing I decided to make things a bit easier and glaze them with white chocolate instead of icing. If piping designs is not your thing then but you still want great looking decorated Halloween cookies then this is the recipe for you!
White Chocolate Glazed Halloween Sugar Cookies
- 1/2C Butter
- 1C Sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2C All Purpose flour
- 1/2C White Chocolate + a couple of extra small pieces for tempering
- Whatever sprinkles you like
- Colour spray
- Step 1 Cream butter and sugar together then add eggs and vanilla.
- Step 2 While stirring, pour in baking powder and salt then gradually add the flour until your dough comes together in a ball.
- Step 3 Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (but no more than 24).
- Step 4 Roll the dough out onto parchment until its about 3/4cm thick then cut out into shapes.
- Step 5 Remove the excess dough around the shapes (you can re-roll the extra a couple times to make more cookies) then place the shapes on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Step 6 Bake at 350F until the cookies are just barely brown around the edges – about 10 minutes. The less you cook them the chewier they will be and vice versa.
- Step 7 Let the cookies cool completely before decorating.
- Step 8 To add the chocolate glaze microwave 1/2C of white chocolate in a bowl (plastic works best because it doesn’t hold heat) in intervals of 20 seconds stirring after each interval until completely melted.
- Step 9 To temper the chocolate add a couple small pieces of the unmelted chocolate and stir continuously until the chocolate cools to 28C-29C (82F-84F).
- Step 10 Working quickly spoon the chocolate out onto the cookies, or dip them in the chocolate to cover them. If using sprinkles be sure to put them on before the chocolate sets.
- Step 11 To use a stencil and colour spray make sure the chocolate has completely hardened before applying. Gently place the stencil over the cookie then hold the spray about 2 inches away. Quickly apply the spray over top of the stencil and remove the stencil by picking it straight up (this will prevent smudging). Let the colour spray dry before serving or stacking.