You don’t need to have hours of free time to make great chilli, you just need a pressure cooker (or even better, an instant pot). This chilli recipe is super easy, healthy and pretty quick. It can even be made without even pre soaking the dried beans!
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chilli
Heres a super quick pressure cooker chilli recipe using dried beans.
- 6C Veggie broth
- 2C Dried beans (kidney, pinto, black etc.)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Medium onions, diced
- 1 Medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 Medium green bell pepper diced
- 2T Minced green chillies
- 1.5C Carrots peeled and diced
- 1 Zucchini small diced
- 1C Corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1.5T kosher salt, plus 1.5tsp and more to taste
- 2T Chilli powder
- 1T Powdered ancho Chile
- 1tsp Coriander
- 1tsp Ground cumin
- 1T Tomato paste
- 1C Salsa (any type)
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) Can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2C Crushed tortilla chips
- Step 1 Thoroughly clean beans. Pick through to remove rocks, sticks, or misshapen/discoloured beans.
- Step 2 Pour dried beans in the instant pot. Add 1.5T salt and pour in 4C of the vegetable broth.
- Step 3 Place the lid and weight (have weighted valve turned to the ‘seal’ position) on your instant pot. Press the “Chilli/Beans” setting.
- Step 4 While the beans are cooking chop vegetables and gather your other ingredients.
- Step 5 When the beans are finished do a quick release by opening the weighted valve and letting steam escape. Drain them and return them to the instant pot.
- Step 6 Add all other ingredients and stir well.
- Step 7 Close up the instant pot and make sure the valve is set to seal once again.
- Step 8 Press the beans/chilli button again (30 mins high pressure). Once its finished cooking do a quick pressure release again test for seasoning ( if you need to you can add more salt/pepper).
- Step 9 Top with whatever you like and serve! (A quick note if it looks like it is not as thick as you want you can add a couple more handfuls of crushed tortilla chips and wait about 10 minutes, or add a couple tablespoons more tomato sauce and stir on the ‘simmer setting’ for 5-10 mins)