Home made ice cream is the best. You can adjust the creaminess, sweetness to suit your tastebuds and you’re able to experiment with different flavours you would never find in commercial varieties.
Case in point: Tonka Beans. These are the seed pods produced by Cumaru tree, they have a scent and flavour that is reminiscent of vanilla and almond with just a hint of cinnamon. Interestingly they are commonly used in both perfumes (Shalimar is a notable example) and food (mostly French patisserie items like custards) because they not only taste delicious they also smell amazing.
Working with Tonka bean is super easy, you can either grate it on a zester or infuse it in a liquid like you would vanilla bean. Using Tonka bean in what would otherwise be a classic vanilla ice cream recipe adds an extra dimension of flavour to this simple dessert.
Tonka & Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
(Adapted from Ample Hills Creamery)
- 3/4c Organic cane sugar
- 1/2c Milk powder
- 1 2/3c Whole milk
- 1 2/3c Heavy cream
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 Vanilla bean split and scraped out
- 1 Tonka Bean finely grated
- Step 1 Pour Sugar, Milk Powder into a heavy bottomed pot, stir together until completely combined.
- Step 2 Add milk and cream stir again (make sure any lumps are completely dissolved.
- Step 3 Add vanilla and tonka beans.
- Step 4 Using a candy thermometer heat the mixture on medium heat stirring constantly until it reaches approx 45 Celsius.
- Step 5 Remove from heat and add some mixture to the egg yolks (about 1/4c) stir until well combined then add the egg yolk mixture to the milk mixture.
- Step 6 Return pot to heat and whisk on medium heat until thickened (will coat the back of a spoon).
- Step 7 Let cool stirring for about 10 minutes (you can also use an ice bath if you like) then cover with cling film, make sure the cling film makes complete contact with the surface of the custard to prevent it from forming a skin.
- Step 8 Refrigerate until cold.
- Step 9 Strain and pour into an ice cream maker (use according to manufacturers directions for that particular model.
- Step 10 Remove from machine and freeze for at least 6 hours.