These berry bars are a great way to use up a bumper crop of raspberries or any other soft fruit you might have. They are so quick and easy to make and the recipe (which is more like a no-recipe recipe) can be tailored to whatever kind of soft fruit you like just adjust the sugar levels to taste. If you have a tart fruit like rhubarb add a bit more sugar or dial it back a bit for a sweeter fruit like strawberries. In this example (the recipe as written) I used a mix of sweet and tart fruit – black currants, raspberries and rhubarb because thats what I had at the time and they ended up being delicious!
Oatmeal Berry Bars
- Oat mixture:
- 1.5C Rolled oats
- 1C Whole wheat flour
- 1/2c slivered almonds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 3/4C butter cubed and softened
- 1/2C brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Berry mixture:
- 2C mixed berries/soft fruit (I used black currants, raspberries, rhubarb and red currants. Use whatever soft fruit or berry you like just adjust the sugar amount based on the level of tartness)
- 1/2C Organic Sugar
- 2T Cornstarch
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 350f
- Step 2 Combine all ingredients for the oat mixture in a large bowl.
- Step 3 In a separate bowl toss fruit sugar and corn starch.
- Step 4 To form the bars gently press (careful not to over pack) 3/4 of the oat mixture into a well greased baking pan, layer fruit mixture overtop, and top with the rest of the oat mixture.
- Step 5 Bake for about 40 minutes until the top is golden and fruit mixture is bubbly.
- Step 6 Let cool completely before you cut it into bars.